Monday, April 1, 2013

Room 101 Namakubi Tiburon

Despite the ominous sound of Room 101 (ominous to the literary-experienced, anyway), I find myself going back to their offerings time and again. This time, it's the Namakubi line.

If the grim imagery invoked by the company name isn't enough, Namakubi is a traditional Japanese gift of the severed head of an enemy samurai to the victorious warlord. Personally, considering the continual morbid references, I think Matt Booth probably needs therapy. But, at least his palate for choosing cigar blends is spot on.

Room 101 Namakubi Tiburon
The Namakubi's medium-brown Criollo wrapper is fairly smooth with moderate veins. The fillers are again a Dominican and Honduran blend by Camacho. The cigar draws like a dream and holds ash over and inch or so.

Right off the bat, I get wicked earthy wood and leather notes. After the first inch, there's a great interplay of earthy floral and coffee flavors. Near the end, the floral tones are joined with a mild spice. Throughout the cigar are medium-bodied flavors that don't take my head off.

I've smoked a handful of these, and the wrappers frequently flake and split. Might be a bad batch or the humi at the B&M isn't peak, but I don't have this problem with most other sticks from that place. I won't demand Matt Booth perform seppuku over the minor flaws of the Namakubi Tiburon.

No comments:

Post a Comment