Monday, April 15, 2013

Illusione Cruzado Dantes

I reached into my favorites box and came up with a cigar that had an unfortunately short run. I hate when that happens. I find something, I dig the way it works, fits, smells, or tastes and then WHAM; discontinued. New Coke, the Reggie Bar, BJ and the Bear, .. the list is endless.

Cruzado Dantes
This particular Cruzado Dantes (robusto) has been chilling for 3 years, since I bought a box on closeout.Time to see if I need to smoke up the remaining stash in short order, or string them out longer.

The Cruzado issued forth from Dion Giolito after the original Illusione line. It is a softer smoke than the heavy, dark Illusione, using a Criollo wrapper and a milder blend of Nicaraguan and Honduran Corojo and Criollo tobaccos. The overall effect is a cigar that is a little milder and brighter than the flagship Illusione line.

Mmm, on the cold draw, I get a mild red pepper note of the Corojo, and look forward to finding my torch.. now where it it?  Ahh, there it is.  Wow, the first inch is great; woody flavor with a little red pepper Corojo heat, not mild at all, The Corojo heat drops off a little to leave a solid woody flavor with a little earth and leather flavors. I'm reminded of the latest Flor de las Antillas line. The last inch features a soft spice and the wood tone gets a little tart.

Still medium-bodied after 3 years, these things are aging nicely. I'm in no hurry to smoke down the half dozen I have left. Cruzado is a great smoke, shame they aren't in general circulation any more. You might ask "why write a review on a cigar that isn't available anymore." My answer is this: I like it, this is my blog, and I'll write about whatever the heck I want. If Dion ever reads this; I really liked Cruzado, and you can roll these again and I'd buy them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment